Call Out: Artist Facilitators for Town Common project, Helix Arts
- LocationNorth East
- Artformcombined arts, dance, film, interdisciplinary arts, literature, photography, music, theatre, visual arts
- ContactSusie Batey email@example.com
Helix Arts is seeking to commission three talented artist facilitators to develop and deliver creative workshops as part of Town Common, a new public arts programme in North Shields.
Historically, towns in England were provided with common lands; places of recreation and entertainment, where cultural and natural resources could be shared by all members of a community.
In February 2020 Helix Arts will transform a patch of Astroturf in the main atrium of The Beacon Shopping Centre into a new ‘town common’ for the residents of North Shields, where through an ambitious programme of arts, cultural and community activities, we will collectively attempt to reimagine the role and function of public space in the town.
To support this we would like to commission three talented artist or makers living, working or studying in North Tyneside, to work with us to develop inspiring, challenging and exciting creative activities that will engage a wide range of local people, explore their views on North Shields town centre and support them to think about how empty spaces within the town could be used to support community activity more effectively.
All workshops should be free and accessible for a range of different age groups and abilities. Workshops will take place within a busy public shopping centre and should be appropriate to this setting.
Fees and costs
A fee of £250 is available for the delivery of 2 x 1-hour workshops inclusive of planning time.
Additional budget of £50 for materials.
Workshops will take place on the same day at 10am-11am and 2pm-3pm.
Helix Arts will provide curatorial support and project management.
Expressions of Interest
To apply, please submit:
- A short statement outlining your proposed workshop including number of participants and materials required (max 300 words).
- A brief CV (max 1-side A4)
- Evidence of no more than three examples (photographic or web links) of arts practice and/or previous relevant arts engagement work/projects.
- Your availability between 15-23 February 2020.
Please send the above to Susie Batey via firstname.lastname@example.org by FRIDAY 13th DECEMBER 2019.
Successful artists will be notified by Friday 10 January 2020.