Shibori Workshop, Fabrications - Hackney
- Artformcrafts, Other, shibori, indigo, resist dyeing
- ContactBarley Massey email@example.com
Learn the traditional methods of this beautiful series of techniques and how to dye your creations in indigo to achieve a range of beautiful blues. You will be taught a number of traditional Japanese patterns, which can be modified to suit your own design. How to dye with indigo using a pre prepared vat as well as how to unpick your finished work to reveal your designs!
Why not really immerse yourself in the techniques and book the Traditional Shibori in the afternoon as well - This class will focus on using a rope core to expand the binding and stitching techniques you have learned and will give you at least two complete patterns which you can use for other projects.
11am - 1.30pm: Beginners Shibori
2.30 - 5pm: Traditional Shibori
Fabrications is honoured to be welcoming Rob Jones to teach this class! Rob is a textile designer specialising in the ancient Japanese art of Shibori, using stitch, bound and clamped resist techniques. Rob has studied at West Dean College and under Bryan Whitehead in Fujino, Japan in 2014.
On completion of the class participants will confidently be able to:
- Have an understanding of key binding techniques and stitches used in Shibori
- Tie a 'Kamosage' knot, used in most bound work
- Use the key stitches: Running Stitch, Ori Nui and Maki-Nui to make a number of patterns
- Achieve beautiful traditional Japanese patterns:
Kanoko (dots of a fawn)
Hitta (bird binding)
Maki-age (stitched motifs)
Karamatsu (larch pattern)
Mokume (wood grain)
And a couple of secrets will be revealed!!
- Set up an indigo dye bath and how to get different shades of this lovely blue (indigo is a natural dye)
- Unpick your finished work to reveal your designs
WHEN: Saturday 21st July, 10.30am - 5.30pm
WHERE: Fabrications, 7 Broadway Market, Hackney, London E8 4PH. http://www.fabrications1.co.uk
PRICE: £45 (AM) £50 (PM) or £85 if booking the full day. Includes all materials
TO BOOK: E-mail or call Barley on 020 7275 8043 or BOOK ONLINE via Fabrications website CALENDAR