Writer in Residence, Jerwood Arts
- Artformvisual arts
- ContactJerwood Arts email@example.com
We are looking for early career arts writers to engage with Jerwood Arts’ programme of exhibitions and events at Jerwood Space, London.
It provides a paid writing opportunity and developmental support for outstanding arts writers, inviting resident writers to engage with exhibitions as they choose. The programme aims to publish thoughts and essays that open up contextual debate surrounding the issues and themes explored by artists within the exhibition programme.
Working remotely, the Writer in Residence engages with exhibitions through event attendance and contact with curators, artists and the Jerwood Arts team. They are asked to deliver five responses during the residency period, however, it is appreciated that more ambitious activities may take up more time and the expected workload can be adapted accordingly.
The residency is self-directed by the successful applicant, and outputs to date have ranged from direct responses to commissioned artworks, to more tangentially connected longer-form essays. Previous Writers in Residence have also used social media, delivered radio shows, produced audio or podcast responses and contributed to the events programme at Jerwood Arts. Responses are published on a dedicated section of the Jerwood Arts website.
We are particularly interested in hearing from early career arts writers who would benefit from:
– engaging closely with an exhibition and events programme supporting early career artists
– a period of editorial support from the Jerwood Arts team
– an opportunity to explore personal research or writing approaches that are not supported via current print/online platforms
– An award of £750 (VAT inclusive)
– A small budget to support self-directed development
– Additional funding for travel if based outside of London (to support attendance at 2 x exhibition previews and 2 x events)
Please complete the online application form to apply for the Writer in Residence Programme:
- A short proposal outlining your interest in Jerwood Arts’ programme, and explaining how you would approach responding to Jerwood Makers Open 2019 (Text box, 700 words maximum)
- A CV (PDF upload)
- Two examples of your writing (PDF upload, 500 words maximum each)