North East Open Call, Middlesbrough Art Weekender and MIMA
- LocationNorth East
- Artformvisual arts, Other, intervention
Middlesbrough Art Weekender 2019 (MAW19) and Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art
(MIMA) seek submissions from artists based in or from the North East England to exhibit work in MAW19. The selected artwork will be presented in a group show or in appropriate interventions across Middlesbrough.
From 26th-29th September MAW19 explores the theme of Autonomy, understood in a broad sense. What does it mean to speak of autonomy - artistic, political, cultural, financial - at a time when reality has seemingly turned on its head? Your work should reflect on or relate to contemporary ideas, issues or events around this topic. We expect the submission to be existing work, as we cannot offer a commissioning fee. If you have recent and existing work that fits this broad theme - in any medium - then please submit.
Selected artists will be paid an exhibiting fee of £200.
- This call out is for artists and performers working across all mediums
- Artists must be based in or from the North East England
- Requirements for install, if extensive are the responsibility of the artist
- Artists are responsible for insuring their work for the duration of MAW19
- Artists are responsible for the transportation of their work to the main venue (The Auxiliary, 31 Station Street, Middlesbrough, Teesside, TS1 1SR) by 19 September 2019 and must collect the work from the same venue by 6th October 2019)
What to submit:
- 3 still images (including stills of video work or video documentation)
- For video and sound work, performance, documentation etc please provide online links to the work
- If submitting work for a specific intervention, additional contextual information can be submitted
- Artwork should be accompanied by a short description of the work (max 250 words) alongside a brief artist biography, C.V. and contact details (max 2 pages)
- Submissions should be a single document in a PDF or Word format and under 10 MB in size
Deadline for applications: Wednesday 28th August (midnight)
How to apply: All applications to be made via email to:
email@example.com with the subject header: NE Open Call 2019