Open call to artists for new site-specific work, Penned in the Margins
- LocationEast, UK-wide
- Artformcrafts, combined arts, dance, film, interdisciplinary arts, libraries, literature, museums, photography, music, theatre, visual arts, Other, digital arts
- ContactNick Murray email@example.com
Edgelandia explores the remarkable places and people on the edges of the map: between land and water, wild and reclaimed, real and imagined. A new, four-year project from award-winning arts producing company Penned in the Margins, Edgelandia will tell the hidden stories and forgotten landscapes of Britain through a series of artistic ‘disruptions’, each set in a unique location – from salt flats to flood zones, abandoned villages to eroding coastlines – and will span literature, performance, music, visual, sound and digital arts.
Each year three artists are given a platform to develop work that responds to any aspect of a particular location within the United Kingdom – its landscape, environment, history and people. One artist is chosen through an open call, selected by PITM Director Tom Chivers and Associate Producer Nick Murray.
We welcome applications from people working in any creative medium: writers, poets, filmmakers, photographers, musicians, sound artists, performance and theatre-makers, visual artists, game makers, etc. We are particularly interested in work that crosses disciplines and challenges the artist’s existing practice. For reference, the first commissions were: an audio piece about climate change and politics set on the Lincolnshire coast; a point-and-click video game tracing a sunken village in the Peak District; and a sculptural and poetic installation in an RSPB reserve on Teesside.
The successful applicant will receive:
- An artist fee of £500
- Budget of up to £500 to include travel, accommodation, materials etc.
- Creative, production and logistical support from Penned in the Margins
- A dedicated page on the Edgelandia website
- Marketing support including social media promotion
The work can commence at any time from October 2019 to July 2020. Full details and application form at Edgelandia.