International Institute of Improvisation (iii!) Summer Academy, Improbable
- ContactJeremy Wong email@example.com
8 - 26 June @ Middlesex University, London
Three weeks of improvisation workshops led by two of the world’s leading improvisers – and co-Artistic Directors of Improbable – Phelim McDermott and Lee Simpson. A complete curriculum for making unforgettable theatre.
Participants can attend the whole academy, or they may wish to focus on one aspect of the work in a single week. The academy concludes with a day-long Open Space for anyone who has attended any of the workshops.
Week 1 explores improvisation for performance in an Improbable style, building meta-skills such as listening, awareness and presence. It draws on impro greats like Johnstone and Spolin as well as the work of Amy & Arnold Mindell, Michael Checkhov and Jeremy Whelan.
Week 2 is a deep dive into the unknown, addressing how impro can be used alongside other areas of practice and research, from opera to puppetry to conflict facilitation.
Week 3 brings it all home, turning the discoveries of the first fortnight into a toolkit for making work.
The iii summer academy is for anyone interested in developing their improvisational experience, and/or learning from and using Improbable’s practice, whatever the form of your work. Specifically, the iii summer academy might be of interest to…
- Theatre makers and practitioners
- Actors interested in improvising, devising, or expanding / developing their practice
- Directors, designers and practitioners working in stage or screen
- Writers, especially those interested in devising, verbatim work and collaborative processes
- Performance practice researchers and performance theory academics
- Drama educators in schools, HE and FE organisations
- Facilitators and counsellors
- Professionals working in sectors beyond the arts
- Fans of Improbable’s work
Cost: £1,250 for full three-week academy, or £500/week. We have three free bursary places each week, plus a £250 stipend for each bursary participant to cover travel and expenses.
Places are by application only. For more info and to apply, visit our website.