Covert: new literary magazine for writers of colour, Writing Our Legacy
- LocationSouth East
- Artformliterature, Other, diverse arts
- ContactAmy Zamarripa Solis firstname.lastname@example.org
In 2020, we’re launching a new literary magazine called Covert.
The first edition of Covert will open for submissions on 1 July 2020 and invites writers & artists of colour to send through original fiction, poetry and art work for this first edition.
- The magazine will be aimed at writers of Black, Asian and ethnic minority background (BAME) living in the South East of England, with an emphasis on supporting Sussex-based writers. We positively encourage writers from marginalised backgrounds to submit.
- 15 writers will be selected for the publication. Each writer will also receive mentoring and editorial feedback on their writing with a Guest Editor before publication.
- The deadline for submissions is 30 September 2020. The magazine will be launched at an online event in December 2020, with copies for sale and to read online.
- Selection will be made by Guest Editors Umi Sinha and Dean Atta, with an editorial team made up of Amy Zamarripa Solis (Writing Our Legacy), Sharon Duggal (New Writing South) and others.
The theme for the inaugural magazine is Sussex Fortuneteller: What do writers see in the future?
We invite writers and artists to imagine what the future holds, whether that’s inspired by science fiction, environment emergency, changing political borders or new technologies and innovations. What are writers’ hopes, dreams or nightmares? How does the past inform the future? the dead, ancestors, ghosts, civilisations…. Dystopian future or a dreamy eco utopia— the choice is yours. No covid19 reference need be used, just your imagination.
Covert literary magazine is supported by Arts Council England and New Writing South.
For guidelines and more information about the Guest Editors, please see https://bit.ly/CovertLiteraryMagazineJune2020