Studio Technician, Hempstead May
- Closes31st August 2019
- TypeFull time
- SalaryPaid (£15k-20k)
- Artformphotography, visual arts, Other, Post Production
- ContactAbena Robinson firstname.lastname@example.org
Hempstead May is seeking a full-time Studio Technician, specialising in digitising analogue film and hand prints via drum scanning. The selected candidate will work closely with the Studio Manager, Producers and Retouchers at the very forefront of commercial and editorial fashion and fine art photography.
At Hempstead May working to the optimum possible quality is a key ethos of ours. This goes hand in hand with the drum scanning facilities we operate. In the scanning department of HM, we handle client’s photographic film and prints and scan these items by drum scanning as well as flatbed scanning depending on the client’s needs. As well as this, archiving and cleaning are also a key part of the department, ensuring consistent organisation and a premium service for the client.
Please note that this is not a retouch role.
You will develop the following skills;
- Learning how to load a drum - both negatives & prints
- Using software to process initial colour
- Maintenance and knowledge of the department
- Stock and product management
- Cleaning and storing client’s negatives
- Archiving digital files
- Printing match proofs for checking colour
- A relevant background and interest in the photographic industry - Ideally 3 years experience in an applicable position
- Colour theory
- A keen eye for detail/colour
- Experience in handling photographic negatives
- Sufficient knowledge of key photographic terms
- Intermediate level of Adobe Photoshop and spotting/dust cleaning
- Keen Interest in learning the skill of drum scanning
- Excellent organisational skills
- Willingness to take on our working methods and processes
Beneficial to the role:
- To have prior knowledge of the drum scanning process and its hardware and software requirements.
- Demonstrate an already finely tuned eye for colour and detail
- Proven skills in retouching (Please note that this is not a retouch role)
- Ability/experience in the use of the Epson 11000XL flatbed
For examples of our work visit instagram.com/hempstead_may