Writer wanted to collaborate on piece of music theatre, Maz O'Connor
- Closes31st May 2020
- LocationNorth West, Nationwide
- TypePart time
- SalaryPaid (£15k-20k pro rata)
- ContactMaz O'Connor firstname.lastname@example.org
Wanted:Theatre writer (ideally Irish/Irish heritage, female) for musical theatre commission
Project:Musical theatre piece based on the true life & death of Bridget Cleary; killed by her husband in Tipperary (1895) on suspicion of being a faery changeling. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridget_Cleary
Musician/composer Maz O’Connor has written the first draft of songs and music for the piece, combining Irish traditional music and modern musical theatre styles. Recordings can be shared with interested applicants.
Commission:This commission –a composer collaboration- will develop the first hour of performance (including songs).
The successful applicant will be
- · enthusiastic about a close collaboration
- · interested in the source material and Irish connectivity, possibly having Irish heritage
- · keen to explore female roles, with an understanding of inclusive feminism
- · confident in script-developing alone
- · experienced enough to present their ideas in an industry specific, professional manner.
Plans and opportunities:
- · 1 week R&D at Cecil Sharp House early Autumn 2020, Coronavirus permitting
- · Work-in-progress showing at Snape Malting Music’s Festival of the New(Sept 2020, format TBC)
- · Liverpool Irish Festival support (ongoing) and display (Oct 2020), as appropriate given Covid-19 public health guidance
- · Potential for The Finborough Theatre(London) production
- · Arts Council England funding application (2021) to
- o complete written piece (preferably to continue from this commission)
- o work on full stage-production (late 2021/early 2022).
Application:Please send cover letter, CV, & example of your writing. Shortlisted applicants will be offered a Zoom/Skype interview in June, with a view to the collaboration starting 6 Jul.